How to keep Mold at Bay in your Columbia or Suwannee County home.
Florida is known for its tourist attractions, and warm weather. Native Floridians know that “ideal” weather comes the oh, so lovely humidity. Florida’s humidity has the potential of ruining more than just your hair you’ve worked so hard on (right ladies?). In humid areas like ours, indoor mold can create a serious air quality concern. Mold aka Mildew is sometimes tricky to spot. It’s likely to be in your bathroom, kitchen and other dark, damp places. It has even been found to grow on paper, wood, toys, clothes, under carpet and inside walls; pretty much anywhere you can find dirt.
So you may be wondering what you can do:
Look around your home’s plumbing and pipes, make sure none drip or leak. Next look around any places that could have moisture, dampness, water damage, or high humidity as these places can cause enough mold fast enough that health problems could become a concern. While on this do it yourself house inspection make sure you get them fixed immediately. Here at SERVPRO of Columbia and Suwannee Counties we have a certified mold remediation specialist.
Here are some things you can regularly do around your home to keep mold at bay.
· Regularly clean your refrigerator drip pan.
· Regularly remove garbage to prevent odors and spoilage.
· Open windows or use exhaust fans when cooking.
· Allow wet, damp rags, clothes, towels or shoes to dry before storing.
· Quickly fix any water leaks.
· Open windows or use exhaust fans when taking baths or showers.
· Open draperies, shades or blinds to let the sun shine on carpet.
· Open closet doors so air can circulate.
· Open air vents and windows to increase air flow.
· In summer, when relative humidity exceeds 60%, run a dehumidifier or air conditioner.
· Keep shrubs at least 1 foot away from outside foundation and walls of the home.
Should you actually come across mold, do not attempt to clean it or wipe it yourself as mold spores can easily spread throughout the air and contaminate other surfaces. Give us a call at (386) 754-0261 we will get it taken care of the right way.