How Do I Properly Clean My Live Oak Home After A Fire
Contacting a cleaning professional may be the best decision you can make if a fire occurs in your home. The flames, heat, soot, and smoke will affect every room in your house, and your structure can even be adversely affected. Recovery from a fire event is a tremendous job, so you will need the assistance of professionals who have the expertise and equipment required to get your work or personal space back to normal as soon as possible. Our SERVPRO of Columbia & Suwannee Counties team can be onsite right away to help you begin the recovery process.
What Steps Can I Take While Waiting For SERVPRO To Arrive At My Sparta Home?
While you are waiting for SERVPRO to arrive, there are some things you can do to begin the cleaning and recovery process:
- Be sure to limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with a light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of the leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What Types Of Fire-Related Cleaning and Restoration Services Does SERVPRO Offer?
Cleaning Process. SERVPRO specializes in restoring the contents of a home or business that has suffered from fire damage or water damage. The team will assess all your belongings carefully to determine which items can be restored to their “pre-fire” condition and will use several cleaning methods to restore your property to its original condition. These can include:
- Foam. The foam method is used for upholstery since upholstery can shrink, or the colors may bleed in water.
- Dry. This method gets rid of light residue.
- Wet. This technique is a very effective cleaning method used to remove moderate to heavy residues.
- Immersion. In this method, items are dipped into a bath of cleaning products for a thorough cleaning that removes heavy residues and overwhelming odors.
- Electronics. Electronics damaged by fire and the accompanying smoke often present a serious hazard, so never turn on fire-damaged electrical devices. The smoke residue contains acids that corrode metal and can cause electronic failure in an electrical component. Computers, televisions, and CD/DVD players should be assessed and cleaned by a professional before being used.
- Odor Removal. Inhaling smoke can have an immediate negative effect on you, even if it’s only for a short time, so managing lingering soot and smoke is important. Hiring a professional fire and smoke damage restoration contractor will ensure that your property is free from the after-effects of a fire quickly and thoroughly.
- Reconstruction. If the smoke and fire damage to your home or business is such that it will need extensive restoration or rebuilding, SERVPRO can organize your move-out process. Removing your items from designated areas will help any remodeling process go a lot faster and protect them from any further damage. Once that is complete, we can then coordinate and organize your move back into your premises to get back to normal.
If your Live Oak home or business has suffered damage from fire, water, or mold, SERVPRO of Columbia & Suwannee Counties team is fire damage and water damage experts, and we handle mold remediation, too. As part of our fire restoration services, we remove all unpleasant fire-related odors, as well.
This franchise is independently owned and operated. We have been in business since 2005 and have over 80 Years Combined Experience so make us your first call at 386-754-0261 and let us help you with our expertise.